Monday, March 23, 2015

Knife Kit- Button Lock Folder DDR3-BL

This is my favorite knife for several reasons. It has a pretty sturdy build and firm lockup, it's beautiful, and I built it myself! Also my mother bought it for me freshman year of college. It has a 3.6" blade, Cocobolo scales, a button lock, and a safety lock. I think it's the classiest looking and feeling knife I've ever owned. The original safety lock was the only plastic part on the knife, so I cut and a filed a steel one out of a tiny piece of file scrap I had from a file knife I had made. The whole thing assembled super easy, except I had to cut the backspine to fit since it was made for the regular DDR3. I also polished the inside edge of the button lock because it kept getting stuck. We got the parts from www.knifekits.com, the same site I got the holstex I made my knife sheaths with that are shown in my other blog post.

I don't see these knives being sold finished very many places, and I almost sold this scratched up one on ebay for about what the parts cost (although I canceled the order...). The ones I see for sale are very customized and expensive. It could be fun to build customized ones and try to sell them. I think they're really cool looking, sturdy knives, and would love to see more of them out there. Knivekits.com has also always provided me with terrific service with all my orders and questions, and I'm glad to support their business!
This shows the custom backspine and safety lock I did. Super fancy! Just kidding. It would be cool to get some rat tail files and start doing filework though. The steel safety lock could use some work too to be honest, I actually filed it just a smidgin too thin and now it slides too loosely (it slides against the inside of the wood scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment